Yum! Look at this burger just OOZING with caramelized onions!
Chickpeas are are great vegetarian source of protein with 1 cup cooked containing about 15 grams. Other health benefits include a rich source of fiber and they also contain vitamins and minerals that can significantly boost your intake of manganese and folate. So you can feel real good about eating these burgers! My kids typically like them “plain” (thankfully there are veggies and seasonings/herbs IN the burger) but I think sliced tomatoes, caramelized onions and some lettuce make this a chickpea patty that can’t be beat!
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup green onions, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp rosemary leaves, minced (or 1 drop of Young Living Rosemary essential oil)
3/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup flour (I use either white whole wheat flour or brown rice flour)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- In a food processor combine the chickpeas, green onions, garlic, rosemary, sea salt and egg. Pulse till smooth.
- Empty contents of food processor into a bowl and add the flour and bread crumbs and with your hands mix it well.
- Using damp hands, shape into patties and place on parchment lined plate or cookie sheet and let sit it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat vegan butter or coconut oil in a large skillet (or on a griddle) and cook patties over medium heat until golden brown. Approximately 4 minutes each side.
- Serve on a bun and top with toppings of your choice.