This is a great, hearty, wholesome meal that comes together quick and is full of nutrition. That’s my kind of meal!
I avoid bottled soy sauce because because most soy sauce contains gluten. You can use coconut aminos instead or you can make your own gluten free soy sauce. I have a recipe for that below.
One of my sons also likes when I add chopped pineapple to it, so that is another great flavorful option for you if you like pineapple.
Another idea….I’ve made this using quinoa instead of rice and it is equally as delicious!
Splash of veggie broth
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 small white onion, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
3 cloves garlic, minced
Himalayan sea salt, to taste
3 cups cooked rice
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3-4 Tbsp. coconut aminos (or homemade soy sauce, recipe below)
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
Diced pineapple (optional)
- In a large skillet, sautee the carrots, onions, garlic and peas in a splash of broth until onions are translucent.
- Add the cooked rice, salt, pepper, green onions, coconut aminos and sesame oil. Mix well.
- Top with diced pineapple.
GLUTEN FREE SOY SAUCE
2 cups veggie broth
2 tsp blackstrap molassess
1 large garlic clove (smashed)
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp white vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer for 15 minutes uncovered. Liquid should reduce slightly.
- Remove garlic.
- What is left is your gluten-free and soy-less “soy” sauce.