Need to sneak more veggies into your diet. Or your kids diet? This mac and “cheese” is just the ticket!
The sauce is full of nutrition thanks to the added veggies, cashews (healthy fats!), and nutritional yeast (B12!).
For the “cheese” sauce:
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup chopped carrots
1 small chopped onion
1 cup raw cashews
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
1 tsp mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
vegetable broth (to cover about an inch above the veggies in the pot)
To make the sauce:
- Add chopped potato, carrot and onion to a sauce pan and cover veggies with vegetable broth.
- Boil until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Scoop out the veggies and place in a food processor along with the remaining sauce ingredients AND 3/4 cup of the veggie broth you used to boil the vegetables.
- Blitz all ingredients in the food processor. Keep going until smooth, or you get the consistency you like. I don’t like mine too runny.
Putting it all together:
Cheese Sauce (above)
16 ounces gluten free elbow pasta (I like this brand because it doesn’t get mushy like brown rice pasta tends to get if you aren’t super careful)
- Cook pasta in a large pot according to package instructions. Drain and return pasta to the pot.
- Pour cheese sauce over cooked pasta and mix well. I like to add a little more of the saved vegetable broth at this point, which you can do depending on how thick or runny you like your mac and cheese to be.
The “cheese sauce” recipe above, because of the cashews, will leave your sauce a little gritty. Kinda like a chunky peanut butter, only smaller chunks. I like that. My boys liked it, too, but requested I try something that was smooth. So below is a more smooth sauce recipe if that is more your style.
Smooth Cheese Sauce
2 cups peeled, diced potatoes
1 cup chopped carrots
4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/ tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
4 tsp mustard (yellow or dijon will work)
- Boil carrots and potatoes until tender.
- Place vegetables in a food processor with remained ingredients and bend until smooth.