Full of plant food and busting with flavor. This dish is probably one of the quickest one I have made. Especially if you prep your rice in a crock pot ahead of time so it is ready when you need it.
I ALWAYS cook my rice in a crock pot on the days I am making a rice dish. It’s just much faster that way. I never use instant rice because instant rice can be lacking in nutrients having been processed before being boxed. Plus, I find that the non-instant rice has more flavor.
Definitely keep this on your menu for those nights when you need dinner on the table fast!
Prep your rice:
1 cup long grain brown rice
2 cups vegetable broth
- Add the rice and the broth to your crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours (check manufacturers settings). Set to warm once your rice is finished, to save until you are ready to prep your meal.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp Himalayan Sea salt
1 large onion, chopped
16 oz bag organic frozen mixed veggies
1 cup organic frozen peas
vegetable broth (as needed)
cooked brown rice (see above)
- Add olive oil and seasoning to a skillet on medium low heat. Let the seasonings “pop” for a minute. They get REALLY flavorful this way.
- Add the onion and turn up the heat to medium high. Make sure to stir and coat the onion with all the spices. Cook onion for 5 minutes. Add a splash of veggie broth if it seems dry and to keep onion from burning.
- Add rice and remaining veggies. Again, add a splash of broth if it seems dry and it looks like you need more moisture. Let it cook for a few minutes.
- Take off the heat and serve hot.