A twist on a classic meal…gluten free, animal free, dairy free, yet ridiculously delicious. And really, it’s awfully simple to make, so it is worth it to keep the jar sauce IN the jar (it is filled with sugar and fillers you don’t need anyway) and the animals grazing in the fields.
Making homemade sauce is NOT hard, does NOT take a lot of time and you can customize it to your own taste. Add as many veggies as you want. Add as much variety as you want. If you think your kids won’t eat it if there are big vegetable chunks in it, puree them first and they won’t even know.
First I will give you the marinara sauce recipe then the meatball recipe. Once your meatballs are done, you can put them in the pot with the sauce to simmer and continue cooking together.
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
12 roma tomatoes, crushed (** see below)
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat add onion, carrot and celery and saute until soft. About 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add in the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
1 onion, finely chopped
8 oz cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice (I always make this ahead of time, the day before or morning of works fine)
1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs (you can always toast your own bread and make crumbs from that to avoid toxic fillers in store bought varieties)
1/4 cup gluten free flour
1 tsp dried basil (OR 2 drops Young Living Basil essential oil)
1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat saute the onion and mushrooms until soft and lightly browned. You can add a splash of water or vegetable brother to keep from sticking. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add onion, mushroom and garlic to a food processor. Reserve the skillet for later use.
- Add to food processor the cooled brown rice, bread crumbs, flour, basil, salt, pepper and pulse until the mixture comes together.
- Form the mixture into 1-2 inch balls.
- Heat your skillet back up over medium heat with a splash of vegetable broth or water and pan-fry the meatballs. Gently rolling them to brown all sides. Once browned, transfer to the sauce to warm/cook them further.
- Serve over gluten free spaghetti.
** To make crushed tomatoes: dip tomatoes into boiling water for 30-60 seconds, then dip into ice water. Allow tomatoes to stand for 2 minutes. Peel skin and remove core. Place a few tomatoes in a pot and crush with a potato masher while heating them. Continue to keep adding a few tomatoes at a time. Stir constantly. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and use in your recipe
** Making your own crushed tomatoes ensures you are not getting canned varieties as the cans are generally lined with BPA, which leeches into your food. The aluminum from the can can also leech into your food. Crushing your own tastes better and it is really easy. An easy way to avoid toxic heavy metals and known carcinogens!