I have another recipe for “meatballs” that are super delicious. They pair really well with a pasta dish given the ingredients/seasonings used to make them. For this recipe I wanted something a little more mild flavored because I didn’t want to have it compete with the gravy I was going to top them with. They are still really full of flavor, though. Just a different flavor. I like variety! 🙂
I added pureed cauliflower to the mix, too. I was nervous about that, because to be honest, I really don’t enjoy cauliflower. I’m trying to train my taste-buds to like it, though, since cauliflower is so good for you. Good news, for me, is that you can’t really taste the cauliflower in it. So I got the benefit without the taste. Whew!
You are going to want to make your quinoa and rice ahead of time. I put them both in a crock pot together with some veggie broth and sea salt and let them cook, that way it’s ready when I need it.
3/4 cups each of quinoa and brown rice
garlic powder, to taste
onion powder, to taste
Himalayan sea salt, to taste
2 cups vegetable broth
- Add the above ingredients to a crock pot to have it ready when you need it.
1 head of cauliflower florets
3/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs or almond flour
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- Boil the cauliflower florets until fork tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- To a food processor, add the quinoa/rice blend and the cooked, drained cauliflower and pulse until smooth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add in the remaining ingredients.
- Roll into balls the size you prefer and cook on a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil. Gently turn the balls a few times to brown on all sides. They’re tender, so be careful.
2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp coconut aminos
1/4 cup brown rice flour
sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and whisk on medium high heat. Cook, while stirring occasionally, until smooth and thick.