I love tacos. I love quinoa. I love quick, easy, hearty meals.
This recipe fulfills every request.
Quinoa is a plant-based gluten-free high-protein food that you absolutely must include in your diet regularly.
The benefits of quinoa are abundant, including boasting the fact that it is one of the few plant foods containing all 9 essential amino acids, (8g of protein per 1 cup serving), is high in fiber, and has generous amounts vitamins and minerals including magnesium, iron, B-vitamins, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, vitamin E, and antioxidants.
1 cup quinoa
1 cup veggie broth
2 can of beans (I use chickpeas at the request of my kids, but kidney beans or black beans work great, too.)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups lime salsa
10oz bag frozen corn
taco seasoning **
Corn or flour tortillas (or tortilla chips and eat this at a dip! Or wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves instead of tortillas)
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer to remove bitter coating.
- In a large crockpot, add in the quinoa, broth, drained and rinsed beans, diced tomatoes, salsa, corn, and taco seasoning.
- Stir and cover. Cook on high 2-4 hours depending on the heat of your slow cooker.
- When quinoa is cooked through, turn off crock pot and serve on tortillas, with chips, or in a lettuce wrap.
- You can garnish with mashed avocado, more salsa, cilantro…the possibilities are endless!
** Taco Seasoning
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt