From amateur to professional, essential oils should play a major role in an active lifestyle. From support to performance to recovery, essential oils are essential for promoting optimal conditioning.
We all know that everyone should be active to build their immune system and prevent certain diseases. Professional athletes are generally always on the cutting edge of optimal nutrition and performance enhancers. But there is no need to look anywhere other than nature.
Essential oils provide immense support to our vigorously worked bodies. They are a powerful and useful tool. Here are a few reasons why everyone should consider the use of essential oils.
- Immune Support: When we exercise daily, we get a great immune boost. But training is a whole different animal. Pushing your body to the edge can actually stress your immune system leaving an athlete more susceptible to commonly circulating illnesses. I know when I run a marathon I can tend to feel really run down and even run a low grade fever in the first few hours after competition. To combat this stress, clove, frankincense, thieves and eucalyptus are great immune enhancers.
- Performance Boost: Once you have your immune system fully supported you will want to give yourself a boost so you can always perform at your best. The best oil for that is peppermint. Whether it is ingested (only use therapeutic grade safe essential oils like Young Living when ingesting essential oils), diffused or applied, the clearing it provides your body for better oxygen and blood flow translates to a much stronger performance.
- Achy muscle soother: So your immune system is in check, you trained real hard and now your muscles are sore and tired. Never fear. There is an oil for that! Lavender is amazingly calming to your achy muscles and your overall body systems. Peppermint has a cooling and refreshing affect and wintergreen is a great deep relaxer on those REAL sore muscles.
- Healing: Let’s say aches and pains aren’t a problem but you fell and got scraped up. Enter lavender, myrrh, geranium and tea tree. Lavender is dubbed “the Swiss Army Knife” of essential oils. And for good reason. It is the first oil I go to for all over healing. Myrrh has great wound healing properties. Geranium can help keep infection at bay and tea tree can keep a wound clean and germ free for optimal healing.
- Smelly gear: No one wants to smell your stinky workout gear. Washing your clothes and gym bag with Young Living’s Purification essential oil will purify (as the name implies) and get rid of all evidence of foul smelling paraphernalia. Here is another great tip: when you take your shoes off, Drop 2-3 drops of Purification on a cotton ball and place inside your shoe. It will eliminate germy and smelly shoes in no time.
I personally LOVE using the En-R-Gee blend which is a combination of Rosemary, Juniper, Lemongrass, Nutmeg, Balsam Fir, Clove, and Black Pepper. 2 drops on the bottom of each foot before a workout. It gets me energized FOR the workout and keeps me energized LONG AFTER a workout. Game-changer!